Cook's Old Mill
Cook's Old Mill is a mid-1800's gristmill on route 122, just ¼
mile west of Greenville, West Virginia. It is a privately owned
park-like venue for tourists, history buffs, Cook descendants and
mill enthusiasts. The mill is an anchor point on the
Road, one of Monroe County's Scenic Byways. The National Registry
of Historic Places describes the mill as follows:—
Cook's Mill was built in 1857 on the original foundation and site of an earlier mill constructed in approximately 1796. The property surrounding this mill includes dam, mill pond, tail race and stream, and consists of 3 ½ acres. The mill was an important part of the community, serving as a gathering place. Construction elements include massive hand-hewn, mortise and tenon posts and beams.
Travelers and neighbors alike are invited to wander around the grounds, take pictures, have a picnic, do some fishing in the millpond or just soak up some history. The mill is open when we are working there, and can be opened on request if we are available. General information is provided on bulletin boards as well as on this website. Cook descendants are urged to contact us to share information on the three generations of Cooks that settled here in 1773, built Cook's Fort nearby, and then built and ran the mill until 1877. Members of S.P.O.O.M. (Society for the Preservation of Old Mills) should also feel free to request a special tour of the mill. Finally, artists and artisans interested in working space in the blacksmith's forge or the mill should make their wishes known.
The owners, Fred and Barbara Ziegler, live in the Miller's House, a yellow building on the north side of the road, just across from the mill. You can call us at 304-832-6060 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember, this is private property, so be sure not to leave trash or create a commotion. Also, restoration of the mill and other buildings is ongoing, so check back from time-to-time for updates!